NOTICE


WARNING ! – Ongoing attempts to by-pass and change the administrative functions and content of this blog ( generic "HACKS") has resulted in Substantial Reduction of normal access. Expectations of restricted availability and access will occur as these intrusions persist.

WATER !! WATER ? "Water"

Are you concerned/interested in Atkinson's water issue?
Visit the new water discussion forum.
http://www.just-goaway.com/
NEW PETITION ON FORUM
New Information and Updates Daily

Thursday, February 21

Review of Candidate's Night

Anonymous said...

Publius: Article Submission

Review of Candidate's Night

The following is just one person's humble opinion and is in part to provide a little humor to a town that could use a sense of humor.

The overall rating for Atkinson's Candidate's Night was a "neutral" rating. Not too much to write about but we'll give it a shot.

Let's start with the moderator. Frank started off talking about the food at Candidate's Night. Like it would lead to all of us stampeding down to Town Hall for chow. He mentioned the beans and some people's apparent lack of a sense of smell. Great kickoff Frank. A fart joke. Nothing like a tasteless moment to start the night. I'm sure the Women's Civics Club appreciated it.

We got to hear from a number of people running for offices where they are unopposed. Thank God for the services of these people. Our town would not function without them. The hard part is that it's tough to get excited about the moment. They're running unopposed. They will win. No controversy here and we want controversy! So I will skip the majority of the candidates because the only exciting moment thus far has been Frank's fart joke.

Let's get right to the selectman's race because it was truly the highpoint of the evening. First, I am pleased we have a choice. And the fact there are 3 people running for such a thankless position is amazing to me. I think Frank put it well when he asked them all: "Are you nuts?". Another high point from our moderator. Frank, I don't think you should seriously consider the position of stand up comedian. Just my opinion.

Candidate Rich O'Leary. Will someone please give that guy a cup of coffee or let him get some sleep? Rich, I love ya, man, but you need some nap time. I consider a person's energy level an important trait because of the demands of this position along with one's other life commitments and Rich was low on energy. Rich, while he seemed very open and I felt he was straightforward, was short on details and I think he hurt himself when he admitted he really didn't have a "platform". Rich, ya gotta stand for somethin'. Standing for nothing is like that old Seinfeld episode - about nothing. We need details. Otherwise, we have nothing to complain about and I need material to work with. You're not helping me here. As for answering the softball questions thrown to the candidates, nothing in my mind stands out from Rich's responses. He just kind of went along. Making no waves, here. Kind of the Rodney King of the crowd: "Can't we all just get along?".

Bill Friel: Wow, what an opening statement. I had enough time to make a sandwich. Lots of good content, though. I mean, this guy put some effort into this. And we know for a fact the chief couldn't have written it because it was eloquent and used big words. But what was with the crossed arms? Bill came across as a professional guy, but his body language indicated he was either nervous or maybe just had a fight with the wife beforehand. I think Bill would have done better if he had a cocktail primer and relaxed a little. As for his answers to the softball questions, he tried to convey his business approach to things which was OK. No big surprises. He did seem a bit too willing to expand on existing programs. Again, let's not make any waves. His "voice for all" theme, consistent with his postcard, sounds good, but it wasn't 100% clear to me he conveyed the "how" side of the equation. I got the reaching out part but he didn't directly tackle the toughest issue, head on. He was close, but no cigar. Would he be a good selectman? Probably. I'm just glad his responses to questions were not as long winded as his opening statement. He took a stand on the state law vs. Will of the Voters issue and sided with state law (this issue ties to our aquifer protection ordinance and NH RSA). In my opinon, you could argue either side of this equation until you are blue in the face. Ultimately, the courts are going to have to sort it out. Will Bill win? Vegas line current odds are 1:1.

Valerie Tobin: I thought her opening statement was a bit short on details. She missed an opportunity to really tell her story. I think she agreed with the other candidates too much (although they were all like best buddies that night). Valerie took a stand on the Carol Grant question about the amendment of citizen petitions at deliberative session. While her response probably played well to the Grant faction, reality is, she can't do much about it as a selectman. We give Valerie kudos for making a clear stand on something which demonstrated her willingness to do so. If she was going to go out on a limb, I just wished she had taken the risk on something she could actually impact. Sorry, big swing and a miss, here. Valerie directly addressed the lack of civility in town with the way people treat each other, in particular at selectman's meetings. OK, she said it. She told the town the emperor has no clothes. While this is a real issue in the mind of many, the problem is I think it only resonates with those who are paying very close attention to town matters. And the abusers know this is a small % of the population which is why they keep doing it. Again, kudos for making a stand, however, it remains to be seen how much this will play at the ballot box. Valerie's responses to the softball questions were pretty much in line with the other candidates. She differed from Friel on the issue of following existing state law vs. the will of the voters issue regarding the water ordinance. So if that is a defining issue for you, Val is your gal. Vegas line is 1:1.

Highlights of the evening. There were 2. The first was the banter between Carol Grant and our moderator when she tried to ask questions. Carol, first let me say I know you have done many good things for this town and I appreciate your hard work. However, when you come to these meetings, please, please take some time to prepare written questions, in advance, and read them - and then stop when you reach the period at the end of the sentence. You only give Frank the opportunity to shush you, and I hate to say this, but for the most part, he handled it correctly. You know better and should be prepared for his behavior. I am not condoning the way he handled it as it came across very rudely -yes, it seemed he enjoyed shutting you down. All I am saying, you and Frank know each other, so you should both deal with it better for the rest of us. You two fight like little kids. Just my humble opinion/observation.

The second highlight of the evening was not the selectmen candidates but none other than the Consentino moment where he was captured on video apparently throwing a spitball at Carol Grant.
Whether he actually tossed something or not, it looked like he did (Carol, please check your hair). Phil, it is getting hard to take you seriously. I'm just glad you didn't throw anything at the candidates.

Overall, it was worth tuning into but I didn't see any knock out punches. It seems we have a horse race between Friel and Tobin with O'Leary in third (sorry, Rich, just my opinion). Who will win? Your guess is as good as mine.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

To Valerie
Wow, did I hear the tv correct last night? You support keeping the elderly affairs driving program in the PD? Is this really true? And you would like to expand it even further? What do you want, another 5, 10 or so vehicles for extra expanded ride services? I heard you say you would like to expand and utilize other available services. I'm assuming the cart program was what you were refering too but you can't have both. Please explain your position on this issue. I would have liked to ask you directly last night but I had to work my 2nd job and was unable to attend. I hope you don't want us to pay for both or add more cars but only you know the answer. Ps: I taped the program as I was working.
Thank you.

Anonymous said...

After further review by the replay official, the chief definitely threw something that looked like a crumpled piece of paper at Carol. Coulda have been a spitball. Coulda been a booger. Hard to tell for sure. The recommendation for her to check her hair is well advised.

Anonymous said...

Im putting in my write in vote for Brian Boyle for moderator.
Time for a positive change in that area. Im sure Mr. Boyle would be very fair, unlike Palito, to let the voters ask questions, and not let a Police cheif throw spit balls at them!

Anonymous said...

I just went back to see last years HW budget that Mark Acciard had posted and it listed the budget at $527,168.00. How is it Ted stated the budget was at $402,000. which was less than the 1996 budget? The E.T. wrote in tonights paper that Ted wanted to put it on a fast track To keep it level funded like other departments. Do I need to get my hearing and eyes checked because my facts are incorrect or did Ted mistate his numbers for the camera. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong or verify that I'm not losing it. Ted did not specify what he needed a whole lot more money for. He just needed a whole lot more money for his dept like the good old days.

Anonymous said...

I was surprised by Ted's presentation that went something like this:

I don't get as much money as the other depts based on the annual increases we've seen (some depts up over 100% since the 90s). Can I have more?

For what? Do you have a specific funding need or do you just want Mo'Money? He didn't give any examples or explain why. He just wanted a funding increase. This was one of the worst attempts at a funding request I've ever seen. Ted, we would appreciate some facts next time and not just a request for charity or pity.

If Ted doesn't know what he needs more money for, does he know what he's spending his budget on now?

We need to do full audit of all these depts. I agree with Valerie on that one.

Anonymous said...

To the writer of "Review of Candidate's Night", your article deserves an "author" to give credit to. I loved it. Since I missed the show, your review saves me from having to watch the rerun.

Like many in town, I'm undecided. All 3 candidates look like viable choices. I guess we all will just have to play "Atkinson Idol" to decide who to vote for.

As for the last 100+ posts with opinions but no names, it sure makes it tough to tell "who' thinks "what".

To all the regular named posters; Mark Acciard, Jane Cole, Linda Dillon, Mrs. Goodridge, Leon Artus, Carol Grant, Valerie Tobin, Jill Fleming and any others who have posted under their real names, please stand up and take a bow.

If the writer does not want to step into the public eye, at least give me a call and tell me who you are. I'm looking for a good ghost writer for one of my projects.

Signed
Michael Torris
P.S. My number is easy to remember, it's 411.

Anonymous said...

I don't think the person's name is as important as his/her opinion and comments. I am not interested in who is for whom. I want to hear opinions and form my own with as many facts as I can gather. Though a lot of this is opinion there are enough leads to find out what is fact and what is fiction.

Anonymous said...

In my opinion, Ted has tried for years to have the BOS listen to him and never had a chance with all the animosity towards him. I wish I knew why they disliked him so. I have heard it was something from the past that some one never got over.
He has been their whipping boy for years and his requests for a fair wage for his workers has always been denied.
How does the board expect any one to keep their employees with the under paid wages.
To my way of thinking he was another target that the BOS wanted to get rid of. They have worn him down the same way the others have been treated if you were not playing the town the way they wanted.
Honest and trusting people were not part of the gang,and I mean gang, of vindictive Selectmen. We would have a hard time to find some one as dedicated as Ted is.

Sure, this is how he makes a living and what is wrong with that. Don't we all?

Just an observation from a long time resident.


ATKINSON's Vietnam HONOR ROLL as VOTED and PASSED by 2005 Town Meeting and re-approved at Special Town Meeting Sept. 12

EDITORIAL-


A voice of compassion, an example of fairness and reasonable government.

One who believes in the strength and comfort you, your children and your family can draw from good government leadership.

A person who knows Atkinson is our home -- our most important possession that must be preserved and protected through fair taxes and sound community planning and where our children must be safe to grow to become a new generation of leaders.

One who knows that the citizens of Atkinson are all neighbors with her leadership to be dedicated and responsive to all.

One who believes that when those from Atkinson have served our nation and honors are deserved, those honors must be given.

In Valerie Tobin, we now have a leader we know we can entrust with these responsibilities because they are part of her character.

It is our honor to endorse Valerie for election to Atkinson’s Board of Selectmen.

Just a note for those who wish to count the deer.

In January 08 this blog had 16,000 hits and 1,500 unique visitors (for the month).

In 2007 this blog had over 100,000 hits and 5,750 unique visitors (for the year).

EDITORIAL-


"I offer nothing more than simple facts, plain arguments, and common sense . . ." [TP, 1776]

We take no small measure of umbrage at such a hostile official act against this BLOG’s patron. Therefore, a timely Editorial comment is both appropriate and necessary.

Discussion of Atkinson’s financial direction, from any viewpoint, is fundamental and encouraged and we will always attempt to limit and correct errors.

However, Righteous indignation towards purported error of such inconsequential nature is not appropriate.

The ENTIRE car deal is problematic. If it was caused by poor judgement, improper exercise of authority, neglect or mistake or even specious reasoning, this will never trump the facts that the entire questionable transaction started and ended within a very small circle of confidants.

We find the entire circumstances surrounding the disposition of the police Cruiser highly irregular at the least and the "explanations" somewhat trifling and exhaustive of our intellect.

Mr. Consentino: It’s time to go. Being Chief of Atkinson’s Police Department is NOT a birthright. That is a fabled legend of yesteryear.

Historically in Atkinson, police chief appointments were made "under the hand of the selectmen" for terms of one year at a time, as was also the case in the beginning of Mr. Consentino’s assorted and discontinuous stream of appointments to this position.

Your only remaining credential established on a claim of indispensability has faded.

So time is neigh. Plan a graceful exit, Clean out your desk, Accept the gratitude and tearful sentiments from some. We plan no editorial recriminations. It is time. Thank you for your service, We wish you a long and happy retirement. Bon Voyage.

LETTER


"To All Atkinson Residents,

I am writing to ask for your help. A member of the Atkinson Police Department needs our help. I am here to ask for your help in Corporal John Lapham's fight for his life. As you are aware, John has been diagnosed with Leukemia. He has been once again hospitalized with an infection that is threatening his life. He is one of the bravest people that I have ever met. He has never asked of anything from the residents of the town. Now is our chance to step up and help both him and his family out. As everyone is aware John has been out of work for a few months. His family has been busy helping John to get better. He needs our help, and I am hoping that this town can step up to the plate and help. From the moment that I met John, I have admired him. He does alot, but never asks for anything in return. He has helped so many people in this town. I for one am one of those people. Please help him.

There is a fund set-up in his name at TDBanknorth in Plaistow. Any amount will help John, while he is out of work. It would be great if this town could help ease a burden off his wife.

Thank You

Also if anyone would like to send a card, please address it to:

John Lapham
c/o Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Ctr.
Inpatient mail
75 Francis Street
Boston, MA 02115
United States

Please show Corporal John Lapham, that this community can stand up and show our support to those in need. I for one, miss John and can not wait until he can get better and return to work. Please show him that we support him. "