NOTICE


WARNING ! – Ongoing attempts to by-pass and change the administrative functions and content of this blog ( generic "HACKS") has resulted in Substantial Reduction of normal access. Expectations of restricted availability and access will occur as these intrusions persist.

WATER !! WATER ? "Water"

Are you concerned/interested in Atkinson's water issue?
Visit the new water discussion forum.
http://www.just-goaway.com/
NEW PETITION ON FORUM
New Information and Updates Daily

Saturday, March 10

COMMENTARY

After hearing Chief Consentino speak of this site and then reading the flyer in the paper I had to come and see what all the fuss was about. Well from what I've read so far it really isn't hard to figure out whose in charge of this site. Just reading the rate your selectman figures tells the story. C'mon guys what did you ever do that sets you so far apart from previous selectman?

My two cents, thoughts, suggestions, complaints and overall view of Atkinson.

Fire Department. Hey people don't forget there is another Chief in town. Fire Chief. Every year it's more, more, more. I need, I need, I need. We needed that big new truck to cover all the high rise fires that occur in Atkinson. Where oh where are the high rises? Yes we will probably be getting new buildings going up on the golf course. Will give my opinion on that later. Let's face it Chief Murphy isn't any better than Chief Consentino but seeing as this is an anti-anything Consentino site you'll never hear a bad word against Murphy. Is his job another life time appointment. I have to wonder if his men are just as afraid to speak out against him as Consentino's are.

Highway Department. Ted does a good job. While he can't please all the people all the time he does what he has to do and then some .I think the biggest problem he had was having his sister-in-law as selectman years ago. I for one and happy with his performance and would like to see him get re-elected.

Cemetery. Where does all the money get spent? The trustee does a lot of work there and it doesn't cost us a cent.

Library. Ok they smartened up and scaled back. Yes we need a new one bad. Still don't like the argument about needing a meeting room. We have a community center no reason they can't use it.

Police Department. Why is Consentino still there? Please don't tell me "we're getting the most bang for our buck".
Let me start off with Elderly Affairs. There is NO reason it couldn't be taken over by the Recreation Department. If a senior needs a ride they call recreation's phone. I think Norika is a pretty intelligent person. She could handle a name, date, address and destination. She could then go through the list of drivers to see who is available. It would be a 9-5 operation. Perhaps the seniors would just have to make appointments during regular working hours. When someone is doing something for you, you learn to work around that person - common courtesy, end of story. If it is a true emergency call 911. If you need a ride home at 2:30 in the morning, call a cab. I'm all for the help given with this department but believe me the people that use it have to be more like willows and bend a little, not oaks never willing to bend a bit. (In my opinion there are more willows using the service than providing it - Did I just call him a big oak?) Here's where there would be a problem. The Police posers working that department wouldn't work out of the community center. Why? No more badges (to flash at ball park attendants, for restaurant discounts etc. ), no more driving "Police" cars with lights and sirens ( and look at me - oh my) Would they settle for being regular Recreation Department employees - NO! Where is the prestige and glory in that? Bottom line, everything being done out of the PD could be done out of the Recreation Department including accepting donations to the Elderly Affairs Donation Account. The citizens would just have a better accounting of it to peruse if they so chose.
Why are there no woman Police Officers? Now don't take this personally, but I mean other than the two senior citizen dispatchers. I'm talking about an officer that could handle a serious situation. Could it be Atkinson isn't as good of a department to work for as say Plaistow? They have woman officers and from what I hear are very good at what they do. Could it be the working conditions over in Plaistow are just more, what's the word - comfortable for woman?
Reading the annual report I notice the Chiefs son is still a part time officer. Does he still go out and drive around on a regular basis as an officer? May I ask why every officer I see in a police car is wearing a uniform except him? Does he get a clothing allowance, does he have a uniform, is he too cool to don one? Just wondering. If he is, wear a uniform, if he isn't drop him and save us a couple of bucks.
Why do we have a uniformed police officer working crossing guard at the Academy standing in the middle of the road with a cigarette in his hand? Besides being a nasty and unhealthy habit it is setting the wrong example to any student walking or driving by. D.A.R.E.
I'm all for raising the age of retirement but doesn't it seem like half the employees of the Police Department are close to 70 years old.

Selectman Where do I start? Child's and Sapia are useless, arrogant, rude and so bad for this town. Sullivan is - as far as I can see a fair and honest kind of guy. Problem is, it's just another builder-real estate agent and from past experience with builders or real estate agents, they stick together like glue and may not always have the best interest of the towns people. If they can lose the day job hat and stick to selectman duties I think they can and have done a good job.

Now for my opinion on the 55+ housing that will be going up. While there won't be any impact to the school system from it, I certainly believe the police and fire/EMT won't be that lucky. I would hold the people responsible for giving the ok to this development - responsibility for the impact it will have on said departments. Is there an impact fee being imposed and if not why? Secondly, Chief Murphy knew of this proposed development. Why wasn't the developer asked to provide a bigger fire truck. His would certainly be the only buildings in town that would need it, so why wouldn't he pay the bill for it. I see all the time when businesses want to go into a town and build something, that would impact the departments in a town, be made to compensate the town. If you want it bad enough you will be more than happy to work with the town and save the taxpayers from paying for your gain.

Would like to see a supplement to the annual report so we can see what we are paying for vendors and salaries. It's our right and obligation as citizens to review this information.

A comment or two on some candidates. Fred Child's. Last year the intelligent and informed voters of Atkinson said no to employees holding paid and elected positions. We did, we really did - and we meant it. This also pertains to Ginny Morelli. Please let up and believe us when we said NO!

Article 23 ummmm I repeat... Last year the intelligent and informed voters of Atkinson said no to employees holding paid and elected positions. We did, we really did - and we meant it. Fred wants this and I'm sure Consentino is pushing it also so he and Sapia can duke it out next year for the seat. Last years warrant article passed, we knew what we were voting on and that's that.

Would I ever sign my name to this? Do I look like a fool who wants to be harassed by a bully? Yes Chief Consentino you are a bully and I will tell you right now that I would never feel safe knowing you knew me. Now that is scary for a small town resident to have to admit.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an incredible post!!!
Let me add my two cents about the candidates for budget as you handled the selectmen so abley.
3Yrs.- Mark Acciard- He has been unfairly treated, and reacted with honor and aplomb. in short a class act and worthy of my vote.
Janine Sawyer-Stanley- Very intelligent, competent with the budget, probably the second most knowledgable about budget items after Acciard. My second vote.
Fred Thompson- again competent, soft spoken, always the mediator, when he showed up. I seem to remember he often missed meetings, even public hearings.
Ginny Morelli- Why is she on the ballot, Article 21 said "prohibit town employees from serving on or BEING ELECTED TO" so is she going to withdraw monday night? Otherwise she does not deserve to be elected.
2Yr.-Dave Paquette- Great numbers guy, questions everything, walks softly and carries a big spreadsheet.will get my vote.
Marianne Princiota- Good questions, handled herself well her first year. Will get my vote. Maggie Osborne- Why is she running, other than because Sapia asked her to? She knew nothing about the budget or the process during candidates night.

Anonymous said...

I must start this comment with a big Hurray for Mark for kicking the Chief's ass at the New Hampshire State Supreme Court. And doing it pro se. Very cool.
Any of you remember officer Kinney? We used to call her "Super Cop, Out to Bust The Youth Of America."
I think she may have been the only female cop I know of to serve in town.
Back then, the worst thing that ever happened were things like placing a line of over ripe tomatoes across the road in the fall of chucking snowballs at cars in the winter.
Hey, maybe Brad D. crossed the chief. (just kidding, I would never spread such a defamatory rumor about him. He provides all the real ammunition anyone would need.)
I grew up an graduated with Mark and Janine. One thing I can say about Janine that I can not about Mark is that at the 25th reunion, Janine still looked the ( or close to it) as she did when we graduated from TRHS. I was among the few that had less hair voluntarily.
I still have one family member that still lives in town.
One comment of the chief. Does anyone still call him Kojak? He was buckin' for chief back in the 70's when he, along with the rest of the "force," was part time.
I live in Mass now. But will this post make me a target for power mad over blown mall cops? I could certainly use that as a defense in court and with the well documented history I could very well get off. But I will make sure I am not speeding and I know my bumpers are well below the 30 inch maximum.

Anonymous said...

Not fair to Mrs. Osborne. Wondering how involved Mr. Acciard was before he ran for budget or how much he knew of the budget process. Or last year's new-comer Mrs. Princiota. Mrs. Osborne may not know a lo about the budget, but she demonstrated an interest in learning. Her only problem is that she's running against Dave Paquette, who really is great with the numbers, and Mary Ann, who does handle herself well.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the growing group, Anon. There are a lot of us who would prefer to stay anonymous than to face the wrath of the Chief. I've heard he once said "I don't get mad; I get even".

Anonymous said...

Amen ! and thank you for saying what needed to be said.

Anonymous said...

Have to agree on you comment for budget committee. Both Mark and Janine know what they're doing and do it well. The only negative on Janine is that she is, once again either a builder or real estate agent. Kind of puts her in the same boat as Boyle and Sullivan. In all fairness to Janine though, never have I seen it interfere with the job she was elected to do. Would be a great asset to the town if she was elected. As for Mark it's a no brainer. As far as I'm concerned, he can keep that position for life if he continues to perform as he has in the past.
For the two yr. position I agree that Dave Paquette has done a great job and deserves to be re-elected. Same for Marianne Princiota - they both asked the questions that needed to be asked and dealt with the department heads with respect.
Ginny Morelli doesn't even belong on the ballot.

MAcciard said...

I would like to say thank you to thelast Anon, and everyonf else who has had kind comments, and acknowledgement of my performance over the past couple of years. Your words are appreciated more than I can ever say.

Mark R. Acciard

Anonymous said...

Well I, too was about to compliment Mr. Acciard's courage, and character over these last two years, but I see that, once again he is demonstrating the manners and general good character I require of my town officials. I remember his mother, and if she were still alive I would say to he, Pat, you did a good job!

Anonymous said...

I still remember the last time I saw that kind woman. I stopped by when I was home on leave from Germany.
Mark was not home for the holidays from where ever our branch had stationed him. I watched Rambo with Mark mother and father. It was a nice relaxing afternoon.
As for Mark's character, my sister refers to him as one of the few positive friends of influence.
The town can always be sure he will act in the best interest of the tax payer. It is ingrained in his DNA. And to top it off his is a Jeep driver.

Anonymous said...

To the Commentaror:

Just for the sake of argument, I've never heard Chief Murphy try to intimidate any one person. His wants and needs are discussed in public at BC meetings, Selectmen's Meetings and Deliberative Sessions. I've never heard him yell, or condemn a board that doesn't agree with him. I've never heard anyone say they're intimidated by the Fire Chief.

And as a matter of note, the Chief is elected by members of the Fire Departmet through an election process held at the Fire Station on, I think, the 1st Monday of December annually. There is no appointment. This procedure began roughly 60 (?) years ago with the origanization of the original Fire Department, and it hasn't changed.
Chief Murphy's men could be "reluctant" to speak against him, but I don't know any residents who feel that way. (How many people don't complain about their boss?)

Don't even worry about a Library meeting room....as soon as they need additional space, it'll be gone, as was the meeting room in the existing Kimball Library.

I hope I'm not being critical; I intended to be informative.

MAcciard said...

I would have to agree with the last poster. Chief Murphy come into selectmen's and budget meetings lays out what he wants or needs, answers any questions that may be asked, and sits quietly while the debate continues over it. He does not twist arms.
When the new truck came up, I, as I always do about subject which come before budget and I do not know about, called Mack, International, and others to inquire about the truck, the ladder, uses, pitfalls, costs, etc. so that I would know what questions to ask when he came in. It turned out to be unecesary as he answered every question I had publicly.
When the tower issue came up I made a similar call to Motorola, and the state rep for them. Within an hour of making that call I received a call at my home from Lt. Baldwin actually yelling at me for "sneaking behind his back" to get info.

That is the difference between the two depts.

Mark R. Acciard

Anonymous said...

Clarification. By Chief I am referring to Kojak. APD Chief Constantine. That is the Chief that Mark defeated at the NHSC.

I can't imagine how a fire chief could intimidate anyone unless they were seeking a permit for an outdoor fire pit.

As for the town public safety radio system, I'd only recommend looking at the NetworkFirst (one word) system sold by a Lowell company. Full disclosure: I work for that company put gain nothing from the sales of that division.
But it would be in the interest of the town tax payers to be sure they are getting the best system with the most flexibility for the money the town is paying.

Anonymous said...

Some time in the near future this will all be behind us, the town of Atkinson. Knowledge is power. I for one am tierd of all of the abuse i've seen from Mr. Childs . Tomarrow i can vote and so can everyone else in Atkinson. Tomarrow we can finialy vote to change our selectman to someone who will do the job to how it should be done. All parties can agree they love our town of Atkinson. It is time to elect new people for our future. United we stand, divided we fall!

Anonymous said...

I find this comment a little hard to write because of the tremendous respect I have for firefighters and EMTs (I pray that they won’t misinterpret this comment).

I find Chief Murphy behavior in some areas questionable. I would like to just list the items in general terms.

1. The issue with the right of way versus the hydrant. He kept stressing fire safety if the main road Route 121 was blocked. Let’s see the EMTs use the hydrant, since the vast majority of the call outs are NOT fire related. I don’t believe he had the best interest of the residents in mind.

2. His behavior on Highway Safety. Among other things, his stubborn stance on speed bumps. I never thought they were the best idea but I think you have to at least be open to the idea.

3. The deplorable condition of the fire ponds, I think they are more an eye sores than anything else but Teddy will probably get stuck cleaning them up. Isn’t making town pretty week coming up ?

4. The issue with the Firetruck getting behind the school and it’s link to that road associated with the conditional gifts. Seems like he can find public safety issues to support his friends.

5. His stance or lack of stance on the communications tower. You would think he would be as verbal as the police either for or against this issue. Silence is not always golden.

I could go on and on but the message is about leadership, vision and intergrity; not about the individual firefighters and EMTs.

Anonymous said...

To the Comentator,

While 95% of your comments are dead-on, what you said about Fire Chief Murphy is DEAD WRONG, and you owe him an apology. You obviously don't know anything about Mike Murphy.

You state that he is no better than Consentino and that is the most despicable thing anyone can say about another. Mike Murphy is the 100% OPPOSITE of Consentino. To know Mike Murphy is to admire, love and respect him.

Murphy is everything Consentino is not. Mike Murphy is unfailingly decent,honest, honorable, ethical, ALWAYS courteous, compassionate, and NEVER belligerent or vindictive. Unlike with Childs, Sapia and Consentino, you can disagree with Murphy and he will NEVER respond with verbal abuse or personal attacks on you. You can ask Mike any question about ANY aspect of Fire Depart. operations, and you'll always get a straight-forward answer. There is no evasiveness or equivocation about Mike.

You would know this unless you are a new-comer to town or just have never had the privilege of meeting/knowing Chief Murphy personally.

Like his father, past Fire Chief Don Murphy, Mike continues to be Fire Chief because he has the respect, admiration and trust of his firefighters who re-elect him every year. And for your information, Mike does not get paid for all of the extra work and hours he puts in as Fire Chief. It's an un-paid position that you take on because of your caring about the town.

I'm not in the Fire Department, nor am I related to anyone in the FD. I'm just a long-time town resident, part of a legion of town residents who are grateful that there are Mike Murphys in this town.

While there are many who serve Atkinson in varying capacities, Atkinson currently has FOUR stand-outs--FOUR CLASS ACTS who have earned the respect,admiration, and thanks of all Atkinsonians for their commendable service to the town. Those four CLASS ACTS are Town Clerk Linda Jette, Road Agent Teddy Stewart, Budget Committee Chairman Mark Acciard, and FIRE CHIEF MIKE MURPHY !!!

I mean it! You apologize to Mike for your shameful comparison of him with the town pariah, Phil Consentino. If you have any deceny in you, you will apologize!

Anonymous said...

I feel a Brian ... I mean Publius response coming !!

Anonymous said...

Apologize for MY opinion? Not going to happen. When Chief Murphy and all the Dept. come out in full force and uniform to argue at Town Meeting for what they deem is necessary for the townspeople, that isn't any different than the Police Dept. doing the same thing. Yes he is a gentleman when dealing with the people. Considering he is working for the people, let's hope so. Just proves he is a polite man and is a man of character. For that I admire him, but does that mean I can't have an opinion? Do I know him and his family, yes. Do I agree with everything he says, no.
Was what I said about the new fire truck wrong? If the builder is going to be the one causing it's need, shouldn't he have paid for it?
I will stand by my opinion and thank God that I live in a country where I can do that without fear of reprisal. (unless our police find out my identity)

Anonymous said...

To the anon at March 12, 2007 9:37 AM

Since when do you need to apologize for having a different opinon.

To the commentator

Speak your mind ... this is still America. I liked your comment on the firetruck .. a lot of towns have the business/developer buy the truck

Anonymous said...

With all this talk of how Ted Stewart's father was a great man and road agent and now his son is - and how Chief Murphy's father was a great fire chief and now his son is got me thinking. Ok if a father was good, so be it, that was the past. We are dealing with the present. This isn't jolly old England where just because dad was king gives you an automatic in~you're not the heir. Both Ted Stewart & Mike Murphy have to be elected. Remember past office leaders as men you think did a great job, but don't assume their sons will be as wonderful. Let them earn their own accolades.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize the Mike's father was the fire chief. I knew his wife and son worked for the fire department. Sounds similar to the police department or the old TV show Dynasty.

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be great to see the entire Fire Department, in uniform or not, at Deliberative Session? Gee, we'd almost have a crowd, and that's extremely rate.

Anonymous said...

To Commentator and Anonymous at 10:27

You're absolutely 100% right and I was totally 100% wrong. No one should ever have to apologize for expressing any opinion about anything.

It is I who owe the apology to you and all blog readers for briefly forgetting that the purpose of the Atkinson Reporter is for all Atkinson residents to be able to freely express an opinion on any subject.
Again, my apologies.

Anonymous at 9:37

Anonymous said...

Did you know that Brian is in St. Lucia or St. Martens for two weeks?

Anonymous said...

Which Brian is that ?

Anonymous said...

And some former residents comments.

One comment regarding Ted. He was honorable when most of his jock peers were bullies toward us non-athletic dorks.
He grew up in the cab of those big road trucks.
He knows the job better than anyone in town. He knows the roads better than anyone in town. In fact, I need to email him to see if there are any decent class IV roads in town for some wheeling.
If I lived in town he would get my vote for as long as he asked for it.
Thjat his father was a good man is reflected in the character of the man Ted grew to become after high school. It was not a guarantee that he would be capable of stepping into the large shoes his father left. But it did lay a foundation for Ted to build on.From everything I hear from my friends that still live their, Ted has filled those shoes quite well.


ATKINSON's Vietnam HONOR ROLL as VOTED and PASSED by 2005 Town Meeting and re-approved at Special Town Meeting Sept. 12

EDITORIAL-


A voice of compassion, an example of fairness and reasonable government.

One who believes in the strength and comfort you, your children and your family can draw from good government leadership.

A person who knows Atkinson is our home -- our most important possession that must be preserved and protected through fair taxes and sound community planning and where our children must be safe to grow to become a new generation of leaders.

One who knows that the citizens of Atkinson are all neighbors with her leadership to be dedicated and responsive to all.

One who believes that when those from Atkinson have served our nation and honors are deserved, those honors must be given.

In Valerie Tobin, we now have a leader we know we can entrust with these responsibilities because they are part of her character.

It is our honor to endorse Valerie for election to Atkinson’s Board of Selectmen.

Just a note for those who wish to count the deer.

In January 08 this blog had 16,000 hits and 1,500 unique visitors (for the month).

In 2007 this blog had over 100,000 hits and 5,750 unique visitors (for the year).

EDITORIAL-


"I offer nothing more than simple facts, plain arguments, and common sense . . ." [TP, 1776]

We take no small measure of umbrage at such a hostile official act against this BLOG’s patron. Therefore, a timely Editorial comment is both appropriate and necessary.

Discussion of Atkinson’s financial direction, from any viewpoint, is fundamental and encouraged and we will always attempt to limit and correct errors.

However, Righteous indignation towards purported error of such inconsequential nature is not appropriate.

The ENTIRE car deal is problematic. If it was caused by poor judgement, improper exercise of authority, neglect or mistake or even specious reasoning, this will never trump the facts that the entire questionable transaction started and ended within a very small circle of confidants.

We find the entire circumstances surrounding the disposition of the police Cruiser highly irregular at the least and the "explanations" somewhat trifling and exhaustive of our intellect.

Mr. Consentino: It’s time to go. Being Chief of Atkinson’s Police Department is NOT a birthright. That is a fabled legend of yesteryear.

Historically in Atkinson, police chief appointments were made "under the hand of the selectmen" for terms of one year at a time, as was also the case in the beginning of Mr. Consentino’s assorted and discontinuous stream of appointments to this position.

Your only remaining credential established on a claim of indispensability has faded.

So time is neigh. Plan a graceful exit, Clean out your desk, Accept the gratitude and tearful sentiments from some. We plan no editorial recriminations. It is time. Thank you for your service, We wish you a long and happy retirement. Bon Voyage.

LETTER


"To All Atkinson Residents,

I am writing to ask for your help. A member of the Atkinson Police Department needs our help. I am here to ask for your help in Corporal John Lapham's fight for his life. As you are aware, John has been diagnosed with Leukemia. He has been once again hospitalized with an infection that is threatening his life. He is one of the bravest people that I have ever met. He has never asked of anything from the residents of the town. Now is our chance to step up and help both him and his family out. As everyone is aware John has been out of work for a few months. His family has been busy helping John to get better. He needs our help, and I am hoping that this town can step up to the plate and help. From the moment that I met John, I have admired him. He does alot, but never asks for anything in return. He has helped so many people in this town. I for one am one of those people. Please help him.

There is a fund set-up in his name at TDBanknorth in Plaistow. Any amount will help John, while he is out of work. It would be great if this town could help ease a burden off his wife.

Thank You

Also if anyone would like to send a card, please address it to:

John Lapham
c/o Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Ctr.
Inpatient mail
75 Francis Street
Boston, MA 02115
United States

Please show Corporal John Lapham, that this community can stand up and show our support to those in need. I for one, miss John and can not wait until he can get better and return to work. Please show him that we support him. "