NOTICE


WARNING ! – Ongoing attempts to by-pass and change the administrative functions and content of this blog ( generic "HACKS") has resulted in Substantial Reduction of normal access. Expectations of restricted availability and access will occur as these intrusions persist.

WATER !! WATER ? "Water"

Are you concerned/interested in Atkinson's water issue?
Visit the new water discussion forum.
http://www.just-goaway.com/
NEW PETITION ON FORUM
New Information and Updates Daily

Saturday, June 2

Police Chief Bullying Confirmed???

regular readers know of Mr. Curt Springer of Danville, who operates the "Speak out Danville" blog. The following was posted as a comment by Mr. Springer to the "Danville Curious" article, This blog felt this deserved more discussion as it confirms many stories heard around town by many residents, all of whom have been decried by the chief as having a vendetta against him.

We have all seen the Chief chase Mr. Brian Kaye out into the hallway, screaming insanely at him, for having committed the cardinal sin of revealing publicly some of the letters and phone calls he had received, and notifying the selectmen that he was withdrawing from public discussion for those reasons.

We have all seen the chief stand up and slam the selectmens table, again screaming insanely at Mrs. Grant as she read a letter to the selectmen. We have seen him berate Elaine Woodbury for bringing in a warrant article he didnt like. We have seen him yell and threaten Mr. Acciard, and Mrs. Cole for asking him about the SUV purchase. We have heard Mr. Acciard tell of chief calling his associates, to tell them he was under investigation by the PD.

We may not have believed those incidents but now we have confirmation of this type of abuse of authority by an outside of town individual. Here is what he had to say:

curt



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Posts: 1761
Location: 228 Sandown Road, North Danville
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:35 pm Post subject:
I got home last night and found 3 messages from Consentino on my machine. In one message he challenged my "manhood" to call him back. He must have done some checking up on me, as he made a reference in one message to me driving out from Boston. It's actually Cambridge.

He told me that "everything" I wrote was wrong.

He told me that the van was actually worth only $500, that they tried to sell it and nobody really wanted it, that was the best offer they got. He did not disavow the $3-$5K attributed to him in the newspaper. He said that there was a town meeting vote 10 years ago authorizing the selectmen to dispose of town property.

He was also upset that I had called the Attorney General's office to ask about this. Be aware that if you call to question the actions of a police chief, the buddy system kicks in and the chief will be informed of the query and who asked. Maybe that's why nearly everyone on the Atkinson blog posts anonymously.

He told me that the decision had been made not to donate the van because I had questioned his integrity. I asked how that could be, that I thought it had been OKed by the selectmen. He told me that the selectmen had had a conference call, one of them being in New York. I pointed out that this would seem to be a violation of RSA 91-A, the open meetings and records law. He said it was an "emergency". I don't expect to see the required minutes posted on the Atkinson town web site any time soon.

I couldn't get any satisfactory explanation out of him as to how I, one person out of 10,000 people between Atkinson and Danville, would be the basis for changing their minds, especially considering that they think that I am wrong.

He did say he respected me for calling him back, that he had been told not to expect to hear from me. Funny, I'm not known as a shrinking violet in Danville. Oh yes, there is one person who is always accusing me of "hiding behind my computer". Some of you know who that is .

I can only conclude that it is more important to try to make me look bad than it is to help the Phillips family. I'm sure some of you will agree that I can do that all by myself without Consentino's assistance. .

Shortly after the conversation ended, I came up with a way that I hope will take any legal or personality issues off the table and get the van to the Phillips family.

I sent this letter to the Atkinson selectmen this morning. It should arrive in Monday's mail:

I wrote:
June 2, 2007
Board of Selectmen
Town of Atkinson
21 Academy Avenue
Atkinson, New Hampshire 03811
Via certified US mail

RE: Used Wheelchair Van

Dear Sirs:

Based on a telephone conversation last evening with your chief of police, Phil Consentino, it is my understanding that you have decided to withdraw your offer to donate your used wheelchair van to the Phillips family of Danville. He also informed me that the true value of the vehicle, based on appraisals and / or offers from dealers, is $500.

I would like to buy this vehicle from the town of Atkinson and donate it to the Phillips family myself. You will find enclosed a certified check for $750, which constitutes my offer. It is based on the stated value of the vehicle plus 50%.

If you accept my offer, please cash the check and deliver the vehicle and signed title directly to the Phillips family.

I will also pay the state and town taxes and fees required to register this vehicle in Danville. This offer (to pay the fees) stands whether you accept my offer to purchase the vehicle, or if you reconsider and donate the vehicle directly to the family, as you originally intended.

Sincerely,


Curtis H. Springer

cc: Wade Parsons, Danville chief of police
Steve Woitkun, Danville fire chief


As stated in the letter, a certified check for $750 was enclosed. You can see the receipts for the check and the mailing HERE.

The intent is for the family to get the van and for the Atkinson taxpayers to be made whole.

If anybody wants to say that this whole thing I did was unwise or factually incorrect in some aspects, I wouldn't say it was unfair criticism. That isn't to say that I would necessarily agree with everything somebody might say. My only actual regret would be not getting the van to the family who needs it. Now it's up to the Atkinson chief and selectmen to decide what to do, and I have done what I can to remove any impediments to them transferring the van to the family.
_________________
Curt Springer

It should be fun to see if the selectmen will accept the offer. Can we now have a discussion about the role of our police chief.

21 comments:

Curt Springer said...

I should say that he said very little in the recorded phone messages. There was the "manhood" thing and the comment about driving out from the city.

All of the rest was from our actual conversation.

Curt Springer said...

Having thought about this a little more since my midnight posting, I would not characterize the chief's calling me and our subsequent telephone conversation as "bullying".

I attacked him, and he called me to take issue with what I wrote. I think that's reasonable. I don't have any problem with the fact that he looked up publicly-available contact information, or that he asked somebody about me. I think he spoke with a quasi-member of the Danville PD who dislikes me intensely (not Manny). It wouldn't bother me if he googled me.

I have no reason to doubt the accounts on this web site about him attacking people in public meetings, but our conversation had no indication of that. The tone was cordial or at least respectful, and there were no threats, expressed or implied.

Anonymous said...

As an Atkinson resident, I'm hoping that Mr. Springer's check will be accepted and that it will go into the General Fund, rather than the Police Donation Fund. But that's probably asking too much of our illustrious Board of Selectmen.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Springer,
I, too, would have no problem with the conversation as you have described it, however I think the reason you see people on here willing to read into it, is due to what we have seen in town here.

Everything you have heard described in this post and on others, hapenned!

Consider my situation, Prior to the chief being elected, at candidates night I asked him openly about the possibility of conflicts of interest(this is on the tape of the 2003 candidates night, available at the library)He stated that there would be none because he wouldn't deal with police issues. I had no problem with that, Then in March of 04 he, as selectmen opened a public hearing on a withdrawal request from the donation account, a request he had just made as chief. The next day, off camera, he voted to approve his own request. I thought that wrong and a violation of what he told the voters before being elected. I filed an ethics complaint. The ethics committee chairman said to me "Well, its the chief" That offended me that there would be a different standard for the chief, and anyone else. So I asked the Court if this was permissable. They ruled on May 10, 2005 that it was not and chief had to recuse himself from these issues. During this time, I was denigrated at selectmen's meetings, subjected to random visual vehicle inspections whenever we met around town, and other indignities. All for having had the poor judgment to question him publicly. He even sued me personally and called my customers and suppliers to inform them that I was "under investigation".

I never made any personal comment about the chief. Yet all of this is available on camera for anyone who wishes to verify what I am saying.

The point is, Mr. Springer, that this is how business in Atkinson has been conducted, and as you correctly noted, that is why people post anonymously on here, they do not want to be subjected to the same derision as has befallen myself, mr. Kaye, Mrs. Grant, Mrs. Zaremba, Mrs. Woodbury, Officer Rivera, Officer Lorden, Mr. Peak, and others who have crossed this gentleman.

Your offer is honorable, and kind and hopefully a corrupt governing body will accept it. But I won't hold my breath waiting for them to do the right thing, it is not their forte.

Curt Springer said...

Here is another POV from Danville.

Perhaps it is the prevailing view of my fellow residents.

Shawn is a selectman, and the other sponsor, with me, of SpeakoutDanville. We are also both members of the town web committee. I criticize the selectmen collectively and I have criticized Shawn personally at least once that I can recall. So I don't have a problem with him criticizing me.

In contrast with Atkinson, I realize how fortunate we are in our Danville town government. We had a bad patch a few years ago. It's not that we have a lovefest going. People still squabble but somehow we carry on without maintaining grudges.

I would very much appreciate it if somebody could confirm that the voters gave your selectmen blanket authority to dispose of town property, such as this wheelchair van.

Anonymous said...

There was a time, several years ago but I don't remember when, when DRA gave approval to towns - all towns to include warrant articles, normally appearing each year, once, with notations that the articles would remain in place until such time as the town voted to opt out. Authorizing the Selectmen to dispose of town
property was one; and I believe acceptance of gifts was another. There were others.

The intent, I believe, was to shorten warrants by eliminating the standards that everybody voted in favor of anyway.

Yeah....like that's going to happen in Atkinson.

Anonymous said...

it has been a long standing joke among older residents that if you question the chief's actions, you had better be prepared to drive 25 through town for the rest of your life.

Like so many joke there is more than a grain of truth to it. There is a long record of these action having been tagainst his opponents. It for precisely this reason that he has neither the character, nor the integrity to wield that much authority.

Atkinson does not need J. Edgar jr.

Anonymous said...

I was in the meeting chiefs first selectmens meeting in 2003 when Barbara Stewart leaned over and asked phil to "give her a break" I forget what he was chewing her out about, Phil put his hand over his microphone and leaned over towards her and said in a quiet but nasty tone of voice "I give you a break every time I see you speeding down main st."

this is our guy

Curt Springer said...

They presented the van to the family on Saturday, to be delivered Tuesday.

The situation is completely confusing to me.

You can follow the thread HERE and make what you will of it.

Anonymous said...

Everyone please click on the link in the previous comment to see how one gets caught when lying.

Fact: Chief said he wanted to donate van to Phillips family.
Fact: Selectman Sullivan tabled the donation till this week so that selectmen could actually vote on it.
Fact: Chief bragged to eagle-tribune reporter, that the van was worth $3-5K.
Fact: Chief told Curt selectmen had reversed their vote, they had not, they hadn't voted in the first place.
Fact: The conference call was an ILLEGAL MEETING as defined by RSA 91A:3.
Fact: Chief had told selectmen and budget that the van was "rotting out" and "unsafe to drive".

Apparently it is now safe enough for the phillips family to drive, they will put far more miles on it than it has ever received by the Town of Atkinson. Chief has stated many times that they only put 1,500-2,000 miles a year on it. If it was so unsafe that the Town needed a new $46,000 van for only 1500 miles a year, than how will it be safe for the Phillips family?

Oh, it is illegal for selectmen to discuss town business out of the public eye. It is illegal for the selectmen to make decisions out of the public eye, than simply allude to those decisions in the next meeting.

We need to hear the taped transcript of that conference call, what other town assets were decided upon? Is that where they decided to only trade one cruiser on the two new leased ones, instead of two, because that hasn't been discussed in public either.

Anonymous said...

If all of these stories are true, why haven't these persecuted people banded together and sued the town for violating their free speech?

Assuming they are all 100% true (I have no first hand knowledge they are), then first amendment rights are obviously being violated. Please don't tell me you can't afford to get legal counsel to support it. The ACLU exists for a reason. They have a NH office. You obviously have to be careful with the NH State Attorney General's office.

Sorry to say it but those who have been directly intimated must be the ones to put up the fight. They are witnesses who have the evidence. And let's not forget how well the chief knows the law. So it will be a battle and it will, once again, cost Atkinson taxpayers more in legal fees. Just make sure you time the filing of your suit to coincide with election season.

Otherwise, you can talk and blog forever and nothing will change. Because the chief has family in place working at the Atkinson PD along with LT Baldwin, the heir apparent, who will take over and resume business as usual after the chief is retired/gone. I suspect chief will then resume his position managing the Dept of Elderly Affairs. He could continue to torment us all from a distance and pull the puppet strings in the selectman's office and in the Atkinson PD and continue to milk the taxpayers and intimidate the populace. So good luck to the strategy of "waiting him out". You may have a long wait.

If town resident's continue to wait for somebody else to do something or for the chief to retire, nothing will change for potentially a generation. I, for one, am not willing to wait that long.

Curt Springer said...

According to Shawn O'Neil, my check threw the Atkinson selectmen into some state of paralysis (see his posting).

Does anybody from Atkinson know what happened tonight?

Curt Springer said...

My certified letter, containing the certified check for $750, was REFUSED by the town of Atkinson.

Anonymous said...

Check wasn't refused....your letter was. Apparently the town fathers read the blog.

Moreover, the town is holding a public sale on Friday, and plans to sell the car for $1.

Also, Mr. Springer, you ended up looking like the bad guy. Could have told you that would happen. Been there; done that.

Anonymous said...

And Phil gets to be the good guy, because he'll deliver the van.

Anonymous said...

I should have said Selectmen will sell the car to the Phillips family. Then Phil can deliver it, as he planned, and he's the good guy!

Anonymous said...

i don't care if the selectmen hold the public sale, how can they sell it for $1 when they have an offer for $750? With the same end result, as a matter of fact, a better end result with the 750, as Mr. Springer has also offerred to pay their registration costs in Danville, something our selectmen never intended. Plus the town gains as well.

Anonymous said...

After all, it is Phil's van and he paid for it and he deserves all of the credit for any good done in this town - certainly not the taxpayers. We need a special monthly newsletter entitled "Chief Does Good Things" with his picture on the front and a list all of his good deeds done that month--------USING OUR HARD EARNED TAX DOLLARS.

And we could pay for the newsletter with more taxpayer dollars.

I think this idea is about as good as:

- Having a giant cell tower in the middle of town
- Letting Pete Lewis drain our aquifer
- Smashing police cars into each other
- PD and selectman infringing on our right to free speech
- PD intimidating the populace
- PD Enforcing laws that don't exist
- Selectman not doing what the voters VOTED for them to do

Let's do dumb things and spend, spend, spend!!!

Who cares about the taxpayers and their hard earned money. After all, "They've Got it". "They can afford it." And they certainly don't need to be recognized for what they pay for.

Like the new wheelchair van
Like the Elderly Affairs budget
Like all of the other donations from the town.

This is the final insult.

Anonymous said...

Wait a Minute! The wheel chair van was DONATED to the town. It's not Phil's; he didn't buy it.

Anonymous said...

My comment was completely loaded with sarcasm. I realize it was not his van and he did not pay for it personally and he did not own it in his name.

BUT he acts like this is all from his good graces when in fact the town taxpayers put up the money. So he takes credit for the donation like it is all him.

Then out of the other side of his mouth he tells all the elderly that the evil taxpayers want to do away with Elderly Affairs but he is here to save the day. So they better vote for his pals on election day - and oh by the way, chief will be glad to give them a ride to the polls if they need it -USING TAXPAYER PAID RESOURCES OF COURSE.

The manipulation and abuse of taxpayer funds is disgusting - not to mention ILLEGAL. It is called ELECTIONEERING.

And it all comes out of our pockets year after year after year.

Anonymous said...

Of course it si electioneering!

Of course it is illegal!

Now prove it!

You see this is the fatal flaw, megalomaniacal windbags like Phil and Jack, and Fred, know that unless someone is pissed enough to spend the time and money and suffer the abuse at their hands to take the matter to court, THEY WILL GET AWAY WITH IT!

And so far only three residents have gotten fed up enough to go to court.

Carol Grant sued to have Sapia and Childs removed, Consentino got himself dismissed as the case dragged on, good thing to, as he would have been on the hook for destroying evidence against HIMSELF!

Mark Acciard went to court to get the court to enforce the ethics ordinance, he won. He also got Consentino found in contempt for violating that order.

Wayne Peak sued Consentino over a misappropriatioon of funds 30 years ago, and after 6 years of back and forth motions and allegations, the town settled, Peak was paid.

These buffoons know that noone is going to go through that, so they can do what they want and get away with it. And with Phil in charge of the elderly affairs program, they have a 50-50 chance of getting re-elected, just ask Fred.


ATKINSON's Vietnam HONOR ROLL as VOTED and PASSED by 2005 Town Meeting and re-approved at Special Town Meeting Sept. 12

EDITORIAL-


A voice of compassion, an example of fairness and reasonable government.

One who believes in the strength and comfort you, your children and your family can draw from good government leadership.

A person who knows Atkinson is our home -- our most important possession that must be preserved and protected through fair taxes and sound community planning and where our children must be safe to grow to become a new generation of leaders.

One who knows that the citizens of Atkinson are all neighbors with her leadership to be dedicated and responsive to all.

One who believes that when those from Atkinson have served our nation and honors are deserved, those honors must be given.

In Valerie Tobin, we now have a leader we know we can entrust with these responsibilities because they are part of her character.

It is our honor to endorse Valerie for election to Atkinson’s Board of Selectmen.

Just a note for those who wish to count the deer.

In January 08 this blog had 16,000 hits and 1,500 unique visitors (for the month).

In 2007 this blog had over 100,000 hits and 5,750 unique visitors (for the year).

EDITORIAL-


"I offer nothing more than simple facts, plain arguments, and common sense . . ." [TP, 1776]

We take no small measure of umbrage at such a hostile official act against this BLOG’s patron. Therefore, a timely Editorial comment is both appropriate and necessary.

Discussion of Atkinson’s financial direction, from any viewpoint, is fundamental and encouraged and we will always attempt to limit and correct errors.

However, Righteous indignation towards purported error of such inconsequential nature is not appropriate.

The ENTIRE car deal is problematic. If it was caused by poor judgement, improper exercise of authority, neglect or mistake or even specious reasoning, this will never trump the facts that the entire questionable transaction started and ended within a very small circle of confidants.

We find the entire circumstances surrounding the disposition of the police Cruiser highly irregular at the least and the "explanations" somewhat trifling and exhaustive of our intellect.

Mr. Consentino: It’s time to go. Being Chief of Atkinson’s Police Department is NOT a birthright. That is a fabled legend of yesteryear.

Historically in Atkinson, police chief appointments were made "under the hand of the selectmen" for terms of one year at a time, as was also the case in the beginning of Mr. Consentino’s assorted and discontinuous stream of appointments to this position.

Your only remaining credential established on a claim of indispensability has faded.

So time is neigh. Plan a graceful exit, Clean out your desk, Accept the gratitude and tearful sentiments from some. We plan no editorial recriminations. It is time. Thank you for your service, We wish you a long and happy retirement. Bon Voyage.

LETTER


"To All Atkinson Residents,

I am writing to ask for your help. A member of the Atkinson Police Department needs our help. I am here to ask for your help in Corporal John Lapham's fight for his life. As you are aware, John has been diagnosed with Leukemia. He has been once again hospitalized with an infection that is threatening his life. He is one of the bravest people that I have ever met. He has never asked of anything from the residents of the town. Now is our chance to step up and help both him and his family out. As everyone is aware John has been out of work for a few months. His family has been busy helping John to get better. He needs our help, and I am hoping that this town can step up to the plate and help. From the moment that I met John, I have admired him. He does alot, but never asks for anything in return. He has helped so many people in this town. I for one am one of those people. Please help him.

There is a fund set-up in his name at TDBanknorth in Plaistow. Any amount will help John, while he is out of work. It would be great if this town could help ease a burden off his wife.

Thank You

Also if anyone would like to send a card, please address it to:

John Lapham
c/o Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Ctr.
Inpatient mail
75 Francis Street
Boston, MA 02115
United States

Please show Corporal John Lapham, that this community can stand up and show our support to those in need. I for one, miss John and can not wait until he can get better and return to work. Please show him that we support him. "